March 23, 2010

Homemade bread

Even though the Californian "Spring" is transitioning into what everyone else would call Summer weather, I've been on a bread-making kick lately...

A tender crumb:

I also made up a big batch of veggie chili.  I bought a few different types of dry beans (kidney, pinto, black) and cooked them up, then added onion, a couple carrots, some celery, corn, a handful of quinoa I had sitting around, and a couple serranos:


And for more unphotogenic food, I made an experimental dish.  I've been toying with the idea of a cornbread casserole (instead of the typical biscuit/dumpling crust).  I cooked up some chunks of tempeh, onion, and eggplant with Italian spices, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and combined it with a small can of diced tomatoes and some soymilk to make a creamy sauce.  I made some tofu ricotta from Vegan with a Vengeance, then plunked all of this into a casserole dish.  Cooked it in a 350 degree oven for a while, then added a cornbread crust and cooked it a while longer.  I tasted a bit of it, it's not perfect yet, but I think it's a minor issue of seasoning and the amount of sauce (not enough!).  Bubbling fresh from the oven:
Mmm I love not having to cook during the week.  Hurray for mass baking and cooking efforts on the weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment