May 28, 2010

Fried Tofu and Coconut Rum Ice Cream

The other night, I made some okay fried tofu strips to put in some soba (more on that later).
As you can see, the breading wasn't very thick.  I'm hoping to improve this with some panko and a different breading technique (this time I just dreded the unpressed tofu in a mix of spices and nutritional yeast...tasty but not quite what I was going for).  I want some super crusty goodness!

The bigger success was the coconut rum ice cream!

Coconut Rum Ice Cream

1/2 can full fat coconut milk (this was just leftover from a curry)
1/4 cup soy milk
1 shot rum (well, actually, you probably want to use less.  I used this much and it was very much ...erm...adult ice cream)
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine the ingredients in a bowl.  Stick in the freezer.  Mix every 30 minutes or hour or so, just whenever it starts looking crusty.  The alcohol really helps prevent big ice crystals from forming. 

So far, this ice cream has kept for a day but I anticipate that it will not store super well.  It's rich, creamy, didn't require a whole lot of churning and effort, and required few ingredients.  I call that a win.


The next attempt will involve the just-coming-to-farmer's-market peaches... but for now, piratey coconut rum will do.



And for more coconut goodness, head over to Chocolate Covered Katie for a contest for Artisana products ...nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment