June 02, 2010

Eggplant Parmigiana


I pester people about what to cook.  It's a horrible, annoying thing to do, and I'm trying my best to curb it.  I ask the boy what he wants for dinner, I ask other people what the hell I should make with x ingredient before it turns to mush.  It's pathetic, and I apologize.  So when the question was, "Eggplant: Chinese or Italian?" the response was: "..." and "Italian."  So...Eggplant parmigiana it is.

Although fried food is not the healthiest thing, eggplant parm is -- I think -- so, so worth it.  I made eggplant the other night by slicing it very thin, making a simple flour-and-soymilk batter, then dredging it in a mix of panko (always check the labels, since sometimes panko has egg/milk), herbs, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast.
It's ready for frying!

I fried the eggplant in a thin layer of oil until golden brown.  Topping some simple pasta with a makeshift spinachy tomato sauce resulted in:


A plate of easy weeknight food.

No comments:

Post a Comment